“On little cat feet…”

Yesterday's photo, taken with my iPhone

Yesterday’s photo, taken with my iPhone

(Thank you poet Carl Sandburg for the inspiration behind the title of this post!)

The last few days have been foggy off and on, which is fine with me. I love the fog—and anytime I think it might be foggy, I drive to the water’s edge (we’re five minutes from Casco Bay).

Yesterday, though, it surprised me. Sunny at my house, I drove to the Falmouth Landing—a place I go at least four times a week to take in the sights (and take photos). The dock was socked in. I had only my iPhone, but I still took a picture because it was surreal: thick fog over the water, sun and bright clouds above, dark at water’s edge.

Fog is an enigma. It gives the air a particular feel of both a lightness but also heaviness and weight. It is both lovely and also mysterious…at times it can feel dangerous. As you drive toward the coast, the fog leads you to the sea…with wisps and trails of clouds…and the scent and tanginess of salt. Standing on water’s edge, birds appear out of nowhere and boats disappear in the distance. The sky turns from white to blue gradually or the fog can blow off in seconds.

I hope you enjoy these photos!

_DSC0045

I got out of my car just in time to see this gull landing… and today my camera was all set on the seat next to me

_DSC0093

Stray lobster traps often dot the beach at low tide

_DSC0078

Families of ducks float in and out of the fog

_DSC0081

I love the way the islands look in the foggy distance. Casco Bay is sometimes called “the Calendar Islands” (because legend has it they number 365). The US Coastal Pilot says the Casco Bay islands number 136.

Comments

1. Micky Wolf says:

Aaahhh, so lovely. Again. You drop in on us with such beautiful inspirations. Thanks so much for sharing. :)

2. Cynthia Robertson says:

Very pretty, Julia. I love fog, and miss it, living in the desert. If you ever get a chance there’s a hiking trail in Schoodic Point called A Walk in the Clouds. On the right day it’s magical!

• Thanks, Cynthia — I will definitely need to check out Schoodic Point (have never been there and love the name alone). Glad to provide you a little fog reprieve in the desert. Hope you’re having a lovely summer!

3. Nina says:

You know, it really is true that the fog seems both light and heavy. We rarely seem to get fog here. It adds so much atmosphere. Great photos.

I love your description of the fog, and the photo of the landing gull.

Stunning photo of the gull landing! And that first pic is one I could get lost in. I can only imagine what seeing it in person must’ve felt like. I loooove the fog (but hate the word foggy for some reason). I’ve never thought of it as both heavy and light, but that’s so true. I always feel more creative on days like this.

• Thank you so much, Barb!! Funny that you love the fog but hate the word foggy… although now that you mention it foggy does sound much less poetic than the actual thing feels. SO nice to see you! Hope you’re having a wonderful summer xoxox

6. Kristen says:

I’ve definitely been enjoying the phoggy photos you’ve been putting on IG. They are all so lovely!

7. Lovely photos, Julia. The mystery of fog always enchants me.

8. Oh, these are beautiful! I love, love, love that Carl Sandburg poem; it’s always been one of my favorites. I adore the fog, too, but we don’t get much of it here in Texas. I guess that’s one of the pros to living in Maine. You’re quite the photographer, Julia!

9. Julia – I love the word picture you painted of the fog! And the fact that you had your camera ready-and-rarin’ is icing on the cake! :)

10. Shary says:

Lovely photos! Soothing on a hot SoCal day. :)