Coming by it Honestly

9780989290401-Perfect copy.inddHave you ever had one of those moments when you remember something from your childhood that makes you realize part of why you are the way you are?

I had one of those moments this past weekend. I was talking to my dad on the phone, and I was telling him about my book (launched as an ebook today), and he said he wanted to read it. Already I’m stressing: A) It has a half naked man on the cover. B) It’s kind of a soft mystery with a female protagonist and he’s a guy. C) He’s a Harvard Ph.D. and he and my mother (also a Harvard Ph.D.) have always kind of intimidated me in the writing department.

But he was interested and kind and supportive, and even when I warned him that it might not be his cup of tea, he still wanted a copy. So of course I said I’d send him one when I get the paperbacks (he doesn’t have a Kindle).

I digress.

When I told my dad what the book was about—a woman who becomes an amateur sleuth to help a friend arrested for murder, and that it’s kinda sorta based on my own curiosity, my own interest in righting wrongs—my dad reminded me of something that happened when I was a kid. And it made me realize that I came by my spy tendencies honestly (and when I say I, of course I mean Maggie True, my protagonist).

One year when I was a kid some mysterious things started happening in our neighborhood: rocks through windows, tires slashed, bikes stolen, peeping Toms . . . shenanigans. Nothing terribly dangerous, but it looked like it might be heading in that direction. At the time we had a small black dog, named Zookie—a cockapoo. Little Zookie was afraid of almost everything, and he would shake and quiver and hide if anything seemed out of sorts. Late at night Dad would walk Zookie one last time, and for a long time I thought that was all it was.

But in reality Dad was on patrol. One night—after hearing about a tire slashing—he hid in the bushes between our house and a neighbor’s, confronted someone who it turned out was just a neighbor. One night he chased a guy down the street (Zookie hid, cowering, in the bushes). One night he ran after a guy who had stolen a bike—Dad got it back. In short, Dad was a badass. He grew up on the streets of Baltimore in the 1940s, and he knew how to defend himself. And his willingness to put himself on the line was pretty awesome, and I knew I wanted to be that same kind of person: hiding in the bushes, chasing down the bikes, protecting poor little Zookie.

Truth is, he never caught the bad guy (long story short, it was a family affair), but he protected the little guy and stood up for what was right. Funny thing, when I created my protagonist in Desired to Death, I never thought about those days, my Dad being a bit of an amateur sleuth of his own, but after he reminded me, I realized that Maggie True and I? We both come by it honestly.

Today is book launch day! Desired to Death is officially available on Amazon (in ebook format; it will be available in paperback in about three weeks). For two weeks, you can buy it for just .99 cents, as a thank you to my loyal friends, fans, and blog followers. Thank you for your support, I truly could not have done it without you!

Comments

1. Oh, what a great story about your dad. I think you and Maggie DO come by it honestly! SO excited for you, Julia, on launch day. I can’t wait to see what kind of trouble Maggie True stirs up in the next book :-).

• Julia Munroe Martin says:

Glad you enjoyed the story, Melissa. I can’t believe I totally forgot about it! I think Maggie’s dad may have to visit in the next book, haha :) Thank you so much, too, for your launch day congrats!

Omg, so cute: “In short, Dad was a badass.” I absolutely loved learning this slice of Munroe(?) family history!

I’m always amazed at how certain personality traits (either inherent or learned) are surreptitiously passed down from parent to child. It warms my heart that your dad is so interested in reading your novel! Congratulations on release day, my sleuth-y friend! 😉

• Julia Munroe Martin says:

I’m so glad you enjoyed the story, Barb, and yes it is Munroe family history! Definitely learned in this case from my dad, and now passed from parent to child to Maggie 😉 Thank you for the congrats, friend!

3. Aw, what a gorgeous story, so heart-warming. Your dad sounds like my sorta man. Loads of luck with the book – I am a Kindle Free Zone too, so I’ll hang on till the paperback and enjoy that in my little mits! xo

• Julia Munroe Martin says:

So glad you enjoyed it, Abi! I’ll look forward to having you read the paperback, can’t wait, in fact!! :) Thank you so much for the well wishes, I feel like I need them today (a bit of the nerves!).

4. Ah, yes, sleuthing is in the genes, and so is writing, it looks like! Congrats, my friend, on this very special day!

• Julia Munroe Martin says:

Thanks, Dina! Double whammy: sleuth AND writing genes, doomed to madcap fun forever, right? :)

5. Omg, your dad totally is a badass! It must run in the family 😉 Congratulations on this huge day, Julia!

• Julia Munroe Martin says:

Haha, yes it DOES run in the family! One proud badass here, Natalia 😉 Thank you for your congrats, you have no idea how much your support means! xoxo

6. Cynthia Robertson says:

Congratulations, Julia!
    Great post about your dad…we’re always kids with our parents, aren’t we? No matter how old we get! I’m glad for you they are so approving, especially being as academic as you describe them.
    Lots of luck with your book!

• Julia Munroe Martin says:

So glad you enjoyed this, Cynthia! Yes, it’s so funny, you’re right, I’m always his child (I mean, surely he knows I’ve seen naked men… I have two kids for one thing!). Thanks for understanding and for your support and best wishes!!

Maggie has arrived! I couldn’t be happier for you, my friend! Hope you’re celebrating tonight (did I read something about a CASTLE viewing on Twitter?;))

• Julia Munroe Martin says:

Thank you Erika! You are such a wonderful and supportive friend, and I can’t thank you enough for being there every step of the way! Yes, there WILL be a CASTLE viewing, perhaps even two. Living it up in Maine 😉

8. CONGRATULATIONS!!! You did it!

• Julia Munroe Martin says:

Thank you, Jess!! And can’t wait to send you your copy, will do as soon as I get the paperbacks in!

9. Christine M Grote says:

I got my Kindle copy today. I’ll try to get a review up as soon as I can. Best of wishes and congratulations for achieving this goal.

• Julia Munroe Martin says:

Thank you so much, Christine!! I still remember following your progress as you went through self publishing. You made it look SO easy. Me? I’m running on fumes here! Hope you enjoy the book. I am so happy to join you as a proud indie author! :)

10. Julie Luek says:

Heyyy I have that cover loaded on my Kindle! I can’t wait to read it. First, YAYAYAYAYAYYAY for you for seeing this dream to fruition. Love the cover. Am cheering you on, my friend.

Your dad did such a cool thing– what a story. Loving mystery runs in the family, I see!

• Julia Munroe Martin says:

THANK YOU for your cheers, Julie! I really appreciate it so much. It’s wonderful to see it done (well, almost… still need that paperback, right?). Wouldn’t be the same without my writer friends, so thanks for the support and encouragement!

11. Your dad was indeed a bad ass! :) I love that he is excited to read your book. It’s wonderful to have parents who are so supportive long after we’ve become adults.

I just got your book on Kindle. Can’t wait to read it! Congrats on this huge accomplishment, Julia. You deserve it.

• Julia Munroe Martin says:

Thank you so much for the kind words and for reading my book, Jackie!! I hope you enjoy getting to know Maggie True!

12. Dad was a badass! Hehe, that’s *such* a cute story. And happy, happy belated book birthday!

• Julia Munroe Martin says:

So glad you enjoyed my cute story… I thought so too when he retold it! And thank you for the birthday greetings, and they aren’t belated at all. I’m only half way there while I await the paperback. Thanks again, Annie!

What a great story — love it! And congrats on book launch day!!

• Julia Munroe Martin says:

Glad you enjoyed the story, Lisa, and thank you so much for your congratulations and support!

14. You story made me smile Julia. I remember coming home in graduate school late one night. I shared a house with two other women. As I got out of the car in the driveway, I young man just happened to leap over the backyard fence and was walking toward me. (he had been in the the dark back yard.) Well, I don’t think he knew I was there for when I shouted “Hey” — he freaked and started running down the street. And for some reason, I took off after him. I was mad. Don’t know what the heck I would have done if he had turned around and stopped. So awesome about your book Julia. When are you getting the paperbacks? Major congrats.

• Julia Munroe Martin says:

That is a HILARIOUS story, Jamie (although as you say, what the heck would you have done if he’d turned around)! And I have many similar ones… I think you and I have quite a bit in common in our interest in making things right! Paperback’s in about 3 weeks! Thanks so much for your interest :)

15. LOVE this post, Julia–beautiful writing and I could feel the love you have for your father. We all struggle with those feelings of insecurity when our close family and friends read our writing. You are certainly not alone! I don’t have an e-reader, but when it comes out in paperback, you’d better be I’ll be purchasing one! So proud and excited for you! : )

• Julia Munroe Martin says:

So happy you enjoyed it, Jolina! Thank you so much, and I really appreciate your support, kind words, and understanding. And thank you too for expressing an interest in the paperback… hoping that will be soon!

16. Leah says:

Congratulations! This is so huge and I’m so proud of your achievement! I’ll head over to Amazon shortly.

17. Nina says:

Loved this story about your dad and off to Amazon right now to buy your book. SO exciting!!!

• Julia Munroe Martin says:

Glad you enjoyed the post, Nina, and I hope you enjoy the book. Thank you for our kind words!

18. Ann Mc says:

Congrats on the book launch and your dad will love it! However, I can see how you’d be intimidated….I’D be intimidated! It’s amazing how life shapes us. I could see YOU so much in the book!

Trackbacks

1. […] sense Maggie was the seed behind the book because she is definitely an aspect of my personality.  I’m curious and observant to a fault, I always have been. These traits bring me great satisfaction but also have gotten me into hot water before (never, […]