The Busy Month of May

I knew May would be busy—and fun—I just didn’t know how busy and how fun. It’s been a month of homecomings, birthday celebrations extraordinaire, new washing machines (yes plural), airports and train stations, long and short road trips, cooking and baking and eating, walks and bird watching. Of laughter and joy, of love, of long and wonderful talks, of some tears.

But writing? May is not a writing month. My WIPs and my blog will still be here in June when my two kids and their respective girlfriend and boyfriend are hard at work on summer internships. When neglected spring weeds are large enough to harvest and ideas simmering in the back of my mind are ready to commit to paper. And when morning routines return to just MEH (My Engineer Husband), the dog, and me. And too much quiet.

May is a month of hellos and goodbyes and much in between.

When I picked my daughter up at the end of the
semester, she took me for a walk in the rose garden
on her college campus. Absolutely gorgeous.
This is where I usually write (in the dining room). Now it holds
the catch-up laundry of two very busy semesters!
These are the cake pops that my son’s girlfriend and
I made together. They are delicious! You can
find the recipe here (yes, they were very easy to
make!): Easy Cake Pops. Take my advice and
don’t forget the styrofoam (like we did)–we improvised.

Comments

I hear ya on the busy-ness of May. I love your first paragraph description though, especially the cooking, baking, eating, walks and bird watching. 😉 I just came back from a road trip for my daughter’s state track meet (woo hoo! she finished in 5th place)! Lots of fun, but now, onward to her graduation. Eek!

To everything there is a season (and all that). We’ll be here when you come back to blogging life, refreshed and fulfilled with family love. :)

• Congrats to your daughter!! That’s great! Now graduation!? High school!?!?!? “To everything there is a season,” exactly! And in the season of May, a reprise of daily motherhood — I LOVE it! :)

2. Lovely roses!
    It’s a good refresher to take some time away from the writing and pay attention to those we love, isn’t it?

Enjoy!

3. Sounds like you’re having WAY too much fun. But you’re right: the writing will be there in June, waiting for you to tackle with passion!

4. E.J. Wesley says:

Yeah, so those cake drops are making my non-breakfast come back and punch me in the stomach. They look awesome! Love all the green in the first pick too. Not quite that green here, but we did get some good rain a couple of weeks ago. In another month we’ll be in hurricane territory, so you never know. :)

5. Julia Hones says:

Beautiful post. May is an exciting colorful month. You mind will be brewing new ideas to write in the near future.

• Glad you enjoyed the post — and that’s true, it IS a colorful month! And so true… my mind is brewing like crazy! Thanks for your comment and for your visit to my blog, Julia! (p.s. nice name :)

6. What a lyrical post! I adored the photos. Your back yard looks so inviting. (Hope you get some time to sit in it with your kids.)

I think it’s perfect that you’re not writing in May. Sometimes we need some time off to live (be normal people, heehee) and that can feed our writing incredibly.

Enjoy the rest of your wonderful May (those cake pops look delicious)!

• Thank you for your kind words about the post, Milli! I did get approximately 30 minutes of sitting in the yard, at our son’s b’day celebration. Such fun visiting with some old friends and hearing great stories. (I didn’t mention we’ve also had TONS of rain so sitting outside wasn’t always an option.) May, although not a retreat, has been a rejuvenation of sorts — and it’s wonderful!

7. Taking a break from writing can be a good thing. You’ll come back in June with a fresh eye and new ideas for your protag. :)

Enjoy the time with your children. (And the piles of laundry!)

• The laundry has been made immeniently more bearable by a fabulous new washer (we had bought one that took 3 hours to do a load of 3 towels so returned it and got a real pip… for a steal!). And I will DEFINITELY go back to writing with a fresh eye, you are SO right!!

8. We will all still be here when it’s all said and the laundry’s done. Enjoy this time and enjoy those delicious cake pops!

Hugs,
    Jolina

• I’m counting on all of you still being here, Jolina — my writing community is such an important part of my daily life! I wish I could share cake pops with all! xox Julia

9. Lovely photos! Are those Adirondak chairs in your garden? It looks like wonderful place to relax with friends and family.

• Glad you enjoyed the photos, and yes they are Adirondack chairs! It’s a fabulous place to sit, very shady and cool and with the lilacs blooming, it smells amazing. Right now there are lilacs, forget me nots, and ajuga blooming and the all-surrounding blue is just beautiful! Wish you could join us!

10. The cake pops look awesome! Well done. How long did they last? And you’re absolutely right, blogging will always be here. Enjoy the month with your family!

• Funny you should ask about the cake pops lasting…. we actually still have about 10, saved for my son (his GF made them for him), BUT MEH keeps going back and I’ve had to get a little protective over those little pops! They are irresistable! I will return to blogging soon — but I still have to say I’m missing the daily blogging a little bit, a little envious of the blogathon here!

I’m with you. There will be time to write later when it’s too hot to be outside. Your chairs look very inviting. I hope you are getting a lot of use out of them. Enjoy your time with family while you can.

• The chairs are SO inviting, and I wish you could join us out there for a sit in the garden and a mojito!! Great times! As you say, I need to enjoy it while I can… thanks Christine! :)

Oh happy days! I love that picture of your chairs set up in that beautiful backyard–who would ever want to leave!

So glad you have had this rich and joyous time with your family, my dear. (And bobolinks sightings, just to ice the cake–or should I say, cake pop!;) )

• Yes, the Bobolink DOES ice the cake pop 😉 As you know, summer is short lived in Maine, and it’s also a lovely place to return to as an adult child — such a respite for them from NYC, Boston, DC, etc… they love the city life but can’t imagine summers without Maine. Sound familiar? :)

13. I completely get that feeling when other things prevent our writing, but it sounds like you’ve had a fab time with family, and sometimes it’s good to give the ‘grey matter’ a rest for a bit isn’t it, and just enjoy! I don’t much like the look of your laundry pile though, but the cake pops look fab!!!

• The grotty jobs are not my favorite, I must admit… and laundry has been a constant throughout (especially as everyone heads to various trips to the beach, hiking, etc.!), but with my snazzy new washer, I can conquer EVERYTHING, hahaha! :)

14. Nina B says:

A perfect companion post to “As the nest turns.” Enjoy those kiddos! Gorgeous garden and cake pops.

15. May sounds like a wonderful month for you, Julia. I think we all need to give ourselves permission to not always be writing, and rather just live our lives and enjoy the company of people who inspire us. May has been a month of hellos and goodbyes for me too. We just had my cousin visit for a few days. She and I are both writers, and being with her nurtures my mind and spirit. We spent many hours quietly writing together, walking, talking…all that good stuff 😉

• It’s a lovely month, no question — and sounds once again like we’re on the same page. My son was an English major in college, and whenever he’s home we talk a lot about books and writing, it’s wonderful. He always has a new viewpoint for me and is very supportive of my writing. And my daughter read my WIP and gave me some very good feedback — I can imagine your cousin’s visit was wonderful!

I’m glad you’re having fun and it sounds like your priorities are right on target! I didn’t get to reply in a timely manner because I’ve been off having fun….I just returned from a lovely, relaxing, SOLO week at Disney World!

• I’m so glad you’re out having fun — Disney World! What could be more fun than that?! And, yes, priorities are right on Target; what a fabulous month I’m having! :)

17. Cake pops! Those are all the rage right now 😉 Glad you’re having a fun family month!

• I had never even had a cake pop before believe it or not, but I was so intrigued with how they were made — such an interesting process! And yes, it’s a very fun family month! :)

18. Hey — how did you get a picture of my dining room table? Seems like five of the seven days of the week there are clothes piled on mine. I love your thought about May being a month of transition. I’ll see how next week goes with the children out of school. Glad you had fun. And whose cake pops look boo-ti-ful.

• You sound like you might be like me… my absolute LEAST favorite job is putting laundry away (I don’t mind the other steps, in fact I like doing laundry in general… thank goodness!). It’s been a wonderful month, with one week to go before everyone disperses–and I know when I do I’ll miss them like crazy. Good luck with your transitions!

19. Those cake pops look tasty! I know what you mean about May – the month has been crazy! Hopefully I’ll have a bit more time to write in June. And what is it about washing machines this month?! Ours died last week and we’re now waiting for the new one to be delivered tomorrow.

• Is it National Washing Machine Breaking Month?! Maybe not, but it is so frustrating isn’t it? During a crazy busy month to have that happen too? May is quite transitional, always, right? Here’s to a calmer June! :)