A Longing for the Morning Glories

This post was going to be about disgruntlement—a complaint and a rant that it’s still winter. That it’s March 4th and we awoke to snow for the second time this week. About how unusual this is, how last year it was spring today.

Then I looked back to my wordsxo post of March 4, 2011, which was: Writing Inspiration from a Winter Wonderland. It was 3.7 degrees. And it made me remember: I live in Maine. And in Maine, we do winter, sometimes for eight months a year. I’ve seen snow in September and snow in April—I’ve heard tell from some old timers that back in the day it might’ve even snowed in May.

And that’s when I realized. I can be as disgruntled as I want to be. But it’s still snowing today, March 4th, and the weather forecast says there will be snow later in the week too.

I keep telling myself to suck it up, that we’ve barely had winter. That it’s such an unusual year that in January and February we had so little snow we could see green grass; that this year even some old timers wondered will winter ever come? One of those days, before a March 1st snow, I found a photo on my iPhone of morning glories climbing the garden trellis.

And I let myself go there: to the garden. Because I had forgotten all about the morning glories! And the sunflowers! I imagined myself this morning, standing outside next to the morning glories, picking tomatoes, and hearing bees buzzing on the sunflowers.

And I wondered about last year when I wrote about inspiration from the snow—was I just trying to figure out something to blog about? Or was I truly inspired? Because this morning all I feel is disgruntled.

And a longing for the morning glories.

Cheers?

p.s. What’s the weather like in your neck of the woods? If you live in a wintery climate, are you still getting snow? Or is it spring time? If you live in a place where you never get snow, do you wish you did? Are you inspired by your weather? Or are you like me—disgruntled?

Comments

1. We’ve actually had unseasonably warm weather in NYC. No snow, really, to speak of. I have to say… I miss the stuff. :)

2. Hi Julia. We’ve been lucky this year – the last 3 winters, especially winter 2010-2011 were bad. And yes, I was very disgruntled. Last year had me clearing snow every day for the best part of 2 weeks, with a cold – I was very hacked off!!! This year we’ve hardly seen a winter – one fall of snow is it! We’ve had Spring like weather since mid Feb and it’s beautiful. I’m not a winter person at all and love blue skies and the feeling of the sun on my face, so this current weather, although still nippy, suits me down to the ground. I too am looking forward to the flowers and the bees and butterflies!

3. I obviously love where I live … and I live in Arizona BECAUSE of the weather in my hometown in northwestern PA. We got a lot of lake effect snow and rain in the area – and when I was 26 and counted 37 days in a row without seeing a single ray of sunshine, I knew it was time to move. So I feel your pain! I don’t miss the snow or driving in it. I might miss “the first snow,” but after that, nah.

In no time, you’ll be out in your garden among beautiful blossoms while we’re sweating our you-know-whats off here in the desert.

Here, it’s blustery–but snowless! I always say as long as there’s no snow, how can I complain? We did see a hill of bloodroots popping up on our walk this weekend–they will easily be in bloom within the week and I can’t wait!

Hold strong, my friend–spring really is on its way. (And the earlier daylight always makes me smile this time of year!)

5. Julia! I hadn’t seen you on Twitter in forever I was starting to get worried! Glad you are alive and well and surrounded by flowers! I am feeling a little disgruntled about the weather. It’s been warming up and I like it BUT I’m not quite ready. I want some more rain. It’s so cathartic for me. And even though I like it warming up I HATE summer so the thought that it’s coming sooner rather than later is just irritating.

Oh, Julia! I feel your pain! You know how I am about the cold weather. I live in a warm climate and DO NOT like the snow!

As for the weather today – it’s a bit cool (to me) and beautifully sunny! It’s going to be about 68F today.

I know it’s weird to be disgruntled about that, but here in Florida, I’m ready for weather to be in the 80s and low 90s!

7. I feel bad telling you that winter is beautiful here… everything greens up and we have lots of vibrant blooms this time of year. But your sunflower and morning glory photos are gorgeous. Maybe you could blow them up to poster size for some winter cheer? Sending warm thoughts your way.

8. Dina, I felt exactly the same way until about two weeks ago, when after a dull brown winter we started getting snow again. Crazy, huh? Hope you get at least a little!

Abi, Glad it’s been a mild winter for you! Here’s to bees and butterflies for both of us, very very soon!! :)

Melissa, Arizona, *sigh* Is that a song? It’s sounding pretty — no make that VERY — appealing. As for 37 days in a row without sunshine? You know it’s bad when you’re counting the days! :)

Sara, YAY, another disgruntled person — thank goodness I’m not the only one. And, I agree, I HATE summer too. Sheesh, never satisfied, huh? :)

Ann, 68 sounds AMAZING. On the other hand, if I had to deal with 80s and 90s, I’d probably be waiting for winter… here’s to perfect weather (whatever that is) for all of us!

Shary, I know San Diego is about ideal weatherwise! Absolutely gorgeous most of the time… glad you enjoyed my photos, and that’s a good idea to make posters! Thanks :)

9. Thanks for the photos, Julia. Lovely color to come, right? Chicagoland has had a very mild winter with not much snow. It is amazing how quickly one gets used to that. It was snowing (just flurries) over the weekend, and I was thinking, “Hey? What is this? “

10. Karen, EXACTLY!! I think that’s why these March storms are such an affront. We’ve had like zero snow and now THIS???? Glad you understand and enjoyed the photos :)

11. Chris Fries says:

Hey good to see you post again! I was hoping everything was good with you!

Yeah, I’m definitely ready for winter to be over. Here we’ve already had about five winter-to-spring-back-to-winter transitions this year so far… Now we’re back in winter with lake-effect snow flurries, but by tomorrow or Wednesday it’s supposed to be near 60.

;^)

12. Emma Pass says:

I love your photos, Julia. We grew the exact same kind of morning glories in a pot on the patio one year and they were stunning.

Like Abi says, it’s been really mild this winter – which has been a big relief! I’m so happy to hear the dawn chorus again when I wake up in the morning. I walked past a plum tree that was starting to blossom today and it was just wonderful. Between now and May is one of my favourite times of the year.

13. Chris, Crazy weather year, here too, no question — glad I’m not the only one. Sorry about the sporadic posting, a big push to get the revisions done on a draft…. now in wait mode :) Enjoy the 60s, Chris!

Emma, Glad you enjoyed the photos — morning glories are a personal favorite, and this variety is stunning, so true! A blossoming plum tree? WOOHOO! We planted a cherry tree last year and cannot wait to see it bloom!

14. Lisha says:

Spring is here in South Louisiana! This morning my car was covered in a layer of pollen, and I stopped at Walgreen’s for my allergy pills!

15. Oh, I just love the photo of the morning glories, Julia, and the bee on the huge sunflower too. Did you grown that sunflower?

Well,our posts couldn’t be further apart, and yet so much the same, could they?
    It’s gorgeous here this time of year. From now to the middle of June is prime time in Arizona. But you may catch me writing a ‘disgruntled’ post in July or August, or maybe even September, if the first two hellish months of intense heat and sun have finally ground me down.

Only California is nice all year, which is why it is so over-crowded. That’s what those who’ve chosen to live there probably gripe about. Or maybe the rain.

I’m glad it doesn’t snow in the Valley. If we want the snow we can drive two hours to Flagstaff and enjoy it. It’s been 10 years since we lived in the snow (in New Hampshire), and we still don’t miss it yet.

Hang in there. Spring will reach you soon!

16. Lisha, It’s so hard for me to imagine full-blown spring with pollen and everything… outside my window the ground is covered with snow and it’s supposed to be 10 degrees tonight! Incredible! Happy Spring! And thank you for your comment and your visit to my blog!

Cynthia, I’m glad you enjoyed the photos — and yes, we grow sunflowers every year, that’s one from two years ago! I thought of you this morning when I read your post, knowing mine would “go up” in a few hours — I remember last year the July/August disgruntled AZ posts. I think it would take the rest of my life to miss snow again at this point… oh well, come April/May it will be a distant memory, then we’ll have humidity and black flies :)

17. Ah, I certainly relate to that craving for spring. My husband and I lived for a while in Northern Michigan, a beautiful place whose winters sound a lot like Maine’s. We have since moved to Germany and a much milder climate (barely any snow this winter). The funny thing? Even though I’ve been able to smell dirt and grass all February, I really miss the snow. A crazy blizzard just swept through Michigan’s western tip, dumping two feet of snow on our old hometown and leaving many of our friends without power. I don’t mean to romanticize it, but it really made us homesick. I’m not exactly sure why.

I feel pretty ashamed to be disgruntled about warm weather though. :) I hope you get your morning glories soon!

18. Oh, I am so easily affected by the weather. We haven’t had a very cold winter this year, but we’ve had so many cloudy, grey days that I was starting to get depressed. Then this weekend, I had my first Saturday session with my bootcamp, and the weather was PERFECT! 65 and sunny, slightly breezy, out in the park on a yoga mat doing squats and jumping exercises and running through the grass. It was invigorating. We all need that sometimes 😉

I hope you’re feeling better and brighter soon!

19. Natalia, I agree — 65 is absolutely perfect, especially with a light breeze — and somehow I’m not a bit surprised that you’re also easily affected by weather…. figures we’d both think similarly about weather! 😉

20. Count me among the disgruntled. Another week of persistent Summer, and it is wholeheartedly not welcome. That’s it. I’m moving South. I know, that sounds off to you Northern Hemisphere folk; but the South-West of Australia is beautiful, mild, green forests and stunning coastline. Perth can keep its early March 37°C/98°F. I’m migrating! 😉

21. Susan Okaty says:

I’m a bit disgruntled, too, Julia. Just last week we had a freak day where the temperature got up to 82 degrees! This weekend it was cold and it poured and poured. Today the rain stopped, but it’s still cold and will be chilly all week. I hate those teases that make you think spring has arrived, only to shoot your hopes to pieces a day later. Clocks move forward this weekend, so it will be dark again when we get up. Hate that. At least it will stay light later so maybe hubby and I can start taking walks after dinner.

22. Nancy Kelley says:

I kind of hate you for having snow. :( I’ve gotten none this winter, unless you count the two times it snowed over night and was gone by the time I got up in the morning. I love snow.

But! Right now, I’m starting to feel ready for spring. I’m ready for warmer temperatures and sunshine and flowers and color. Well, okay. We never lose color here because it’s green all year long in the Northwest. But I want reds and pinks and yellow daffodils!

Or snow. I’d be happy either way.

23. Sarah, I can totally relate to being disgruntled about warm weather! It’s perhaps that feeling of being unsettled because the weather is different than you expect or want it to be? I feel that way too about the snow–I expected spring by now! Here’s to morning glories for me AND snow for you :) Thanks for your comment and your visit to my blog!!

Ashlee, I’ve always wanted to see the south-west of Australia — the photos I’ve seen have been amazing. Wow, 98 degrees — I am not ready for that. I don’t blame you for wanting to move south :)

Susan, Here’s a cheer for the disgruntled! :) I was thinking about losing that hour of daylight — I’m never a fan of that because I like to get going in the morning. Still, as you say — here’s to walks with our husbands after dinner! Sounds lovely! :)

Nancy, Sorry :( I know you miss the snow, I remember from previous conversations. It’s been that kind of year too which is why I think I wasn’t ready for these storms… as you say, now it’s time for spring. Here’s to daffodils :)

I say, ‘Cheers’ for two reasons:

1. A new post from you (missed you)!

2. Even if it snows in March, at least you know it won’t stick around for months on end. That’s the way I look at it anyway. We’ve had such a mild winter here in Chicago, that I don’t mind the spring snow. I heard my first robin about two weeks ago, so no matter the conditions… I know spring is on the way. :)

25. Barb, I missed you too!! I’ve been editing like a mad woman, haha, which explains the quiet blog front :) A ROBIN??!!!! Lucky you! There have been those spring sounding days here, too, so I know exactly what you mean! xo Julia :)

26. I too am ready for spring and warm weather. I can’t complain though because we haven’t had much of a winter this year. There have been plenty of 50 and 60 degree days in January and February. It’s a bit colder this week, enough so that we had some very light flurries yesterday. They were sparse and just fluttered in the air, never sticking to the ground. Hopefully because the weather has been so nice this year, you won’t have snow in April and nice weather is just around the corner. :)

27. Jen, I think you just wrote one of my fears: SNOW IN APRIL!! One year we had a HUGE snowstorm on April 1st. Of course it was gone quickly, but still. Here’s to lovely warm weather just around the corner…. for both of us! :)

28. It’s been so mild here on the East Coast, we’ve been having spring for weeks already. It only snowed a couple of times and was gone the next day. I don’t mind though. It’s nice to have a mild winter – last year I remember digging my car out of 2 feet of snow. Took me 3 hours because the plows kept socking me back in! 😛

I’m sorry you’re still immersed in winter. The weather here is up and down. We had a coating of snow yesterday. Today was nice with a high of 63. You may have cold weather longer, but I think the coast of Maine makes up for it.

30. Jacki, *We* had a mild winter until the beginning of March, too… today it was 15 degrees when I woke up! Weird, huh? Can you imagine how much extra time you have this year since you don’t have to dig your car out? Woohoo! :)

Christine, That’s so sweet of you to say that about the Maine coast making up for it! Usually I can keep my disgruntlement factor down, but lately enough is enough :) 63 sounds amazing — are your bulbs up yet? :)

31. Your question of cheers made me smile, Julia. Wishing you many warm days in the coming week! Xx

32. Your question of cheers made me smile, Julia. Wishing you many warm days in the coming week! Xx

33. Jolina, I wondered if anyone would notice the cheers question! Thank you for that and for the warm wishes! :)

34. Missy Olive says:

We have had the ugliest winter! It snowed every time I left the state and the snow was gone by the time I returned.

Here’s hoping for some of those beautiful spring flowers. Thanks for the reminder photos!

Missy (in CT)

35. Missy, We had the same ugliness until the beginning of this month — now snow and very cold… I agree, here’s hoping for some of the beautiful spring flowers, soon! :)

36. Becca says:

My goodness, we have been so blessed in Michigan. We have had nary a snowfall, and today it was 67 balmy degrees.

We’ve had a few nasty winters in a row, so I think we were owed.

Hoping spring comes your way soon!

37. Becca, No snow in Michigan??? WOW! That is truly remarkable! I’m so happy for you, and will look forward to a 67 degree day soon :)

38. Oh, Julia, I’m so tired of the cold, I’ve already stated on my blog that it’s Spring and wrote up my photo challenge suggestions accordingly.

I’m loving that Snowdrops and Primulas(Hyacinths and Tulips too, but those in greenhouses) started blooming. Proper Spring can’t come early enough for me!

As much as I love snow, we had way too much of it this year. And I can’t wait to start wearing lighter clothes!

39. This moment we are having rain. And it’s supposed to get cooler for a few days. Yesterday was wonderful though. John and I sat out on the porch. Lit some candles and listened to crickets. Yay– the crickets were out. That must mean spring isn’t too far away. Good luck with waiting out winter. Just think. It’s got to be better this time next month.

40. Estrella, I’m tired ot the cold, too…here’s to Proper Spring — as soon as possible! :)

Jamie, Crickets!? I love those signs of spring — lucky you! You’re so right, soon it will be better, but here in Maine we lag way behind :)

41. Don’t hate me. But it was in the 80s today. Warm! A little warm for not even the start of spring. But the sun was nice to see.

42. Leah, The sun!! That’s exactly what I miss most during Maine winters — so of that I am envious. On the other hand… the heat that will come with it, not so much!! (p.s. 80s, incredible!! gardening weather, woohoo!)

43. Jen says:

I’m down in Georgia, and the weather has been completely crazy here this year as well. Usually by now it’s warming up and we’re getting drowned with all the rain. This year it’s hot as blazes one day, still cold the next and there’s no rain in sight. I too am a little disgruntled!

44. Jen, Here’s to crazy weather all around — thank you for the sympathy, too! Nice to know we’re all in this together. Disgruntled is the weather word of the week :)