“It’s Maine, Deal with It”

“It’s Maine, deal with it.” This expression came to mind as I stood on the beach overlook at 2 degrees.
I used to have a neighbor who moved to Maine shortly after I did, and she loved to say that to me: about the heat and humidity in the summer, about the blackflies in May, about too many tourists in August, but especially about the snow we know we’re going to get—no matter how mild the season starts out.

When we looked at the thermometer at home this morning it was a flat 0 degrees. So if anything I was disappointed it was 2 by the time we got out to take the video. Luckily, with not a wisp of a breeze, it felt like maybe 3 anyway. I stood in a foot of snow to take the video, and you can hear the crunching of snow under our boots, the zip of my jacket pocket as I take out my iPhone to take a photo of my boots, and the snap of the photo being taken.

Other than those sounds and the slight movement in the water, you’d think this was a still shot this morning. Lucky us, by the time we got to the other side of town (inland) it was all the way down to minus 6 degrees. So cold that even Abby, our black lab, wanted to go home. She held up one freezing paw after another in the crunchy snow, and we lasted all of 5 minutes on the dog walk.

What’s an expression you associate with the place you live? Are there things you just know you’re “going to have to deal with” in your weather and in your life?

Comments

1. Emma Pass says:

Funnily enough, it’s the heat. We’re completely landlocked where I am, and every summer, no matter how wet or miserable a summer it is overall, at some point there’s always a heatwave. It gets absolutely stifling, and we have to wait until 9/10pm to walk The Hound so he doesn’t overheat!

Mind you, I prefer heat to snow and ice, so I can’t complain really! :-)

LOL: “Luckily, with not a wisp of a breeze, it felt like maybe 3 anyway.” Hmm, so lucky to be a toasty 3! 😛

Your video totally looks like a still shot! WOW! Here in Chicago, we experience mostly the same weather fluctuations as you Maine-folk do, so yeah, “just deal with it” is a great mantra to keep in mind. What stinks is when people either visit, or like in your case, move here, and proceed to tell us locals about “oh the humidity; oh, the snow; oh boy, your windchills are too much” I often have to bite my tongue because I want to scream, “It’s Chicago, deal with it!”

Keep warm and cozy! :)

3. Folks in Brooklyn say, “Fuggedaboudit!” Is it cold? Fuggedaboudit. Is it sweltering? Fuggedaboudit. Is it raining cats and dogs? Fuggedaboudit.

Love the video. How serene and calming.

The weather often doesn’t phase Reggie at all. Usually I’m the one begging to go inside. But sometimes he gets the snow caught up in a paw and then he holds it out to me so I can clean it.

4. The constant changes in my life seem to be the challenge that I have to “just deal with” on a regular basis.

5. You know it’s cold if the lab can feel it. Brrr! I’ve lost my Chicago tolerance for cold weather. Yesterday I was at the beach and while visitors were in shorts and t-shirts, I was hunched into my jacket.

As you and I so often joke, I’ve lost my cold weather tolerance (I’m fairly sure I had it once–my father assures me I did, anyway;)) but even now in comparatively BALMY NC, I still get chilled at the drop of a hat (or a degree).

But seeing those pictures, oh how quickly it all comes rushing back, Julia!

7. Love the video Julia – clear blue sky. Love the pic too – blue snow reflections – so pretty! We have a word here in Derbyshire for being cold, which is ‘nesh’ – as in “I’m feeling a bit nesh,” which is quite quaint! For me, dark mornings and nights are my bug bear… and ice. Too much snow is a nuisance for clearing, but I like how it looks. Fave time of year is Spring – Autumn though and I love the hot weather!

8. Yes. July and August will be ‘hotter than hell’ and the electric bill for those two months will about give me a stroke with I open it. :-)
    Sunny and mild down here today. The sun is shining and the sky is blue as a robin’s egg. (Okay, now I’m just being sadistic.LOL!)

9. susancondon says:

It looks fabulous. When I hear Maine, it always reminds me of Stephen King and in recent years, John Connolly, home to at least two great writers! Living in Dublin, Ireland, ensures you get four seasons, which I love, even if, in recent years, we seem to get a little more rain and a little less sun. But, we wouldn’t have our fabulous scenery without it, so I won’t complain . . .

10. The heat. Don’t get me wrong — the sun is nice and I like warmth. But during winter, it would be nice if the sun took a vacation and I could actually enjoy the winter weather. Today is pretty nice. The sun is slightly shining, but it’s cold and breezy. The trees are blowing and the heat turned on inside. Nice morning!

Great post, I love your sense of humor.

We all like to complain about the weather, don’t we?

I like winter, for the most part, but cold is cold. And it is COLD where you are. Just sayin.

12. Oh no…is this your usual spot? Sandbar…? Is he gone for the season now? He’s like the Maine groundhog, that’s when you know when Spring has arrived.
    Well 2 is warmer than 0 from last week.
    Yes I hate it when people complain about really obvious things about the places they live. People in California (the southern half anyhow) complain SO much about every aspect of the weather. Seriously? Yes is can get very hot and very cold but it’s still no Oklahoma or Maine. California is as neutral as it gets.
    P.S. I’m freezing!! 😉

13. Emma, I hear you about heat waves — we have those here as well! (We’re lucky that we also get some coastal breezes, though.) Curious, are your heat waves with humidity or is it a dry heat?

Barb, Haha, you’d fit right in here! I love it. I think that weather is one of those unifying things that everyone can relate to…. and likes to complain about! We also have the four or five “perfect weeks” between May and June, where no one complains and just appreciates the summer!

Jackie, I love that “Fuggedaboudit!” Awww, I forget about the longer furred dogs and their problems with snow getting caught (we used to have a golden retriever!). Poor Reggie! Abby usually doesn’t have any problem with snow or cold but I guess -6 was her limit!

Lisa, Yes, there is that old adage that change is the only constant… sounds pretty much like me these days too!

Shary, So true about a lab feeling the cold! Living in Maine, I have the opposite thing to you: at 30 degrees, it starts to feel warm and I leave the house only in a light fleece!

Erika, I wonder if the same thing that happened to you will happen to my kids if they don’t settle in a cold climate!? I’m glad I can give you a “safe distance” view of the cold — that’s all ANYONE should have, haha! :)

14. Abi, Glad you enjoyed the video; yes the blues were incredible! In fact, all day long, the sky was a constantly changing hue — always looking as cold as it was (although we did warm up to over 20). I agree, dark mornings and ice are the WORST! I am not a fan of hot weather but I do love Spring and Autumn, too.

Cynthia, Thank you for taunting me with your lovely warm weather :-( Seriously, I know what you mean, I remember you talking about those air conditioning days, which seemed to go on forever and ever while we were in the relative cool — so I guess I forgive you :-)

Susan, Yes — Stephen King is definitely one of the writers that most people think of when they think of Maine! I have heard such wonderful things about Dublin (but have never been), and I actually prefer rain to snow and even sun, so it sounds even nicer! Thank you so much for your comment and for your visit to my blog!

Leah, I agree — as much as I complain about winter, excessive heat is really a bigger problem for me. So, here’s to more nice cool and overcast days for both of us so you can really appreciate winter! (But less ice and extreme cold for me!)

Christine, Glad to amuse — always a goal :-) Yes, complaining about the weather is, I’m guessing, fairly universal unless you live somewhere that it’s always the same! Yes, cold is COLD and it’s definitely cold here, so I deal with it. :-)

Sara, Yes, our usual spot — sandbar comes and goes with the twice daily low tides. This morning I thought I would be there to catch sandbar…. one hour before low tide… so either I read the tide chart wrong or it was an unusually high low tide (it happens). Yes, southern California IS as neutral as it gets, but it does sometimes have some colder days, or so a friend of mine who is freezing tells me :-)

15. I can’t even IMAGINE what negative anything must feel like! But I did enjoy hearing the sound of the snow crunching..I love that sound! It reminds me of winters we spent in North Carolina (the coldest I think it got was 10, which was still plenty for me).

In Austin they have a saying: “If you don’t like the weather, wait another day.” It’s completely unpredictable, and it changes drastically in a short period of time. I don’t ever believe a word the weathermen say because we’ve had days that started in 25 degrees and ended in 78. Or days when one was freezing and the next was boiling hot. Today it’s a nice 65 but who knows what tomorrow will bring?!

16. Ha.. the most famous saying around here is, “But it’s a dry heat.” Dry heat, my ass… 110 is hot whether there is any humidity or not!

But I would trade that for your frigid temps ANY day, my dear. I got goosebumps just reading -and like Erika, have lost my Pennsylvania armor. When it’s 60 in the shade here, I’m shivering. Poor Abby! Poor you. But before you know it, the flowers will be popping back up!

17. Natalia, I’m glad you enjoyed the crunching sound — I love it too! Glad to give you a happy memory! 10 is plenty cold for me, too! That’s amazing that the temps and weather varies that much in Austin; I had no idea. 65 sounds perfect, but as you say, who knows what tomorrow brings?!

Melissa, I’ve heard that about “dry heat,” when we were in Barstow, CA, at 110. So I know what you mean. 110 is 110. Yes humidity would make it worse, but it’s STILL 110 degrees!!! Ah, THANK YOU for reminding me that spring is right around the corner!

Julia, it’s funny – we have Southernisms for everything – but I don’t know if we have one for the weather! …but if it was zero degrees where I live, you would hear everyone wailing!

19. Perth’s one of those places which can easily experience four seasons in a day (as far as Perth seasons go, at least). So just saying, “Perth weather,” is explanation enough for most locals. 😉

We’ve got a forecast of 42°C/107°F on Thursday. Please send cold weather. I welcome freak storms! XD

20. Ann, That’s so interesting that there’s no Southernism for the weather! I have to say that I’ve never heard anyone here wail from the cold…. then again, we’re all inside so who knows! :-)

Ashlee, I love that “Perth weather” is the only explanation locals need! Very cool! Or should I say HOT. WOW, 107? Yikes! Wish we could reach a mid-point between our temps — 53 degrees sounds very good right now!

21. I can’t think of an expression for it, but the biggest thing I’ve had to deal with in Baltimore is feeling limitations as to where and when I can walk around. In New York, I never worried about walking in the dark because there were always people around. If I have to walk in Baltimore, I like to be inside by a certain time.

Weather below zero would be tough for me. I can’t remember if you’re from Maine? If not, how long did it take you to adjust to the temperatures?

22. Jen, That’s hard to feel that limitation of where/when you can be out — but I’ve felt that way myself in some places so I know what that’s like. And, no, I’m not from Maine — and I guess it didn’t take me long to adjust. When I first moved here, someone told me (about the humidity) that you learn to live with it but you never get used to it. I think that’s how I am with the cold weather, too.

I DO know of a Southern Weatherism….when it rains, we Floridians call it “Liquid Sunshine”. I was discussing your post with Honey Bunny tonight at dinner when I remembered it….SO – I HAD to come back and tell you!

When it rains here – especially when its 90F – we just call it liquid sunshine!

24. Tennessee tornadoes! That is something we most definitely have to deal with! Last night we had such severe storms, I actually became afraid that our windows were going to do a repeat of the ones that exploded in our apartment last spring. I’ve never been very afraid of storms, but now I have a new respect for the power they hold. They are quite beautiful, though, in their ferocity.

25. Hi there! In Charleston it’s definitely the heat. Although, I swear it’s worse in DC. And the bugs here in Charleston, but especially the Palmetto bugs. No matter how long I live here I will never get used to them…or be able to “deal” with them. :)

26. All true about Minnesota! (Minus the tourists)

27. Ann, I’m so glad you came back to tell me! I’ve heard the expression liquid sunshine but I never knew it meant rain (of course it does, what was I thinking!). Here’s wishing 90 degree temps w/ or without liquid sunshine for YOU soon (for me not so much!)

Jolina, Argh, tornadoes — terrifying! I’ve been in funnel clouds before in CO, and that was CLOSE ENOUGH. And I remember your terrifying post about the tornado. I agree, beautiful but ferocious!

Stephanie, I have once before lived with tropical type bugs (in Belize) and I agree — no way to ever getting used to them or even dealing! Here’s to not too much heat but warmer than 0! :)

Nina, Who knew that Minnesota was Maine’s twinsie? (and you’re sooo lucky you don’t have the tourists, let me tell you!)

28. Okay, so I’m jealous of the snow, but not the 0 degree temperatures not so much. But man you’ve got some gorgeous photos here so I can live vicariously. And warmly.

29. Charlotte, Interestingly, few ARE jealous of the 0 degree temps, go figure :) Thank you SO much for the compliment on the photos — what a sweet thing to say! And thanks also for your visit to my blog, I so appreciate it!

30. Wow, that is pretty cold. I don’t think I’ve ever been in an area that cold before … it totally looked like a still shot!

In my Portland, we get rain, so we generally deal with sogginess the way you deal with ice, etc. :-)

31. Mahesh, You definitely should someday move to an area that gets this cold….or am I saying that because misery loves company? :-)
    MEH and I love the rain so I’m pretty sure the sogginess would appeal to us! (MEH used to live in Juneau, AK, where the governor called a holiday when it DIDN’T rain… Sunny Day Holiday!)

32. I just happened across your blog – I grew up in Wiscasset, so this is a lovely little trip down memory lane. It makes me cold just to look at it! But sometimes that fierce coldness just wakes you up and makes you feel alive in a way that nothing else can. off to browse a little more…

33. Jen, I’m so glad you found my blog! I have several “Mainers in exile” who have found and watch the videos, so I’m glad it gives you, too, that trip down memory lane! I hope you enjoyed the past ones, as well, and you can always count on some of my posts being about Maine — but yesterday, believe it or not, I made the final video after one full year of making them! How ironic is that?! :) So happy you found my blog, and thank you so much for your comment! Nice to meet you!