Foggy Morning Birdlife on the Coast of Maine

Sunday, August 21, 2011, 8:40 a.m. EST, 68 degrees F

The day started out with pea-soup fog. I wanted to capture a sunrise in the video because they’ve been so beautiful lately, but at 5:30 on the foggy dog walk this morning I realized there was no hope. Instead, we waited until later this morning, mid-tide, and went to the bridge overlook as the fog began to burn off. And what a reward for our waiting: just as we arrived we saw an osprey diving toward the water.

Minutes later, as we began the video a large bird, I assume a gull, lands at the very end of the point. Then about 30 seconds into the video, a Great Blue Heron flies into view and lands right next to the large bird. What an amazing, beautiful, and peaceful morning video punctuated only by the sound of a solo runner, one car, and me snapping photos in the background. This is one of my favorite videos we’ve shot because it really captures the feeling, sights, and sounds of the place: its stillness yet life.

And meanwhile in the garden…. it’s looking like late summer. Unfortunately many of the plants (black-eyed Susans, squash, pumpkin, beans, and even the tomatoes) have developed some “late blight” and other mildews—which generally means the plant will die. Harvests have been way down this year as compared to last. Still, we ate our first eggplant this week, and we are harvesting lots of tomatoes, spring onions, a few pole beans, kale, the last of the zucchini, and a few small turnips.

In the photo of the garden this week, the morning glories—volunteers from last year—have made it to the top of the basketball hoop. I love this photo because it represents the perfect garden to me, a mixture of flowers and vegetables, natural yet slightly structured. I also love having the basketball hoop as a garden framework because of the memories it invokes of happy family games.

Comments

It’s a wonderful photo. I love morning glories. I had them growing up the white picket fence that bordered two sides of my garden at our old house. I loved to see them bloom in the morning.

One morning I got up and the blooms were all gone, leaving only little stems poking straight out from our little picket fence.

Somebody had a midnight snack.

It’s a good think I think deer are lovely.

2. Christine, I love morning glories on picket fences! Beautiful! I have to admit that the lighter blue are my favorites but these came up spontaneously and they’re lovely! I had no idea deer ate morning glories — what a sad (but cute) story! Luckily the deer only got some beans this year at our house!

3. Beth Hoffman says:

Ahhhhhhhhh … a bit of heaven on earth!

4. Beth, I have to admit that I was thinking that exact thing this morning as I stood there — absolutely magical and perfectly blissful! Thank you for your lovely comment and your visit to my blog!

I love the picture! Morning Glories are so….FRIENDLY! They also take over if you’re not careful, but so lovely.

I’m sorry your plants aren’t doing well this year….

6. Liz says:

I love that you love where you live! Especially because before you know it, it’ll be FROZEN! :)

7. Your garden photo – especially the hanging flowers – is just beautiful! Makes me happy just looking at it. And it’s interesting how your weather changes quite a bit from week to week. And although we’re on separate coasts, it’s funny because we’ve had foggy mornings all this week too. Happy Beginning of the Week!

8. Ann, Luckily (?) we don’t have that problem with morning glories here because we only get about 4 good growing months… soon, back to winter!

Liz, I conveniently forget by about this time of summer that in a couple of months we’ll once again be in the deep freeze. Since the leaves are already starting to change, I better brace myself! :)

Leah, Glad you liked the photo! We have had pretty crazy weather this summer, usually a lot less fog than this! I miss the west coast fog that seems more crisp and lighter; east coast fog feels humid and hot! Happy beginning of week to you, too! :)

9. Rachel Small says:

Beautiful video! Thanks for sharing. I would love to visit the east coast.

10. Oooh, I have a habit of watching your videos before I read your posts, and for the life of me, I couldn’t figure out what the consistent pit-pat was. A watch? An animal munching? LOL Then as it got closer, I realized it was the feet of a jogger! Very cool. I love how you observed the “stillness, yet life” of the scene. So beautiful (and true)!

11. Rachel, Glad you enjoyed the video & hope you get a chance to see the east coast in person some day! Thanks for the comment and your visit to my blog!

Barb, That’s too funny about the pit-pat sound — did you also hear my say something at the beginning of the video? I didn’t realize it until after I posted so I decided to leave it since it was just a comment about the bird landing, ha! It was an incredibly peaceful still morning — and I really could’ve stood there all day.

12. I love the sound of the solo runner in this video. And the morning glories climbing up the basketball hoop are awesome!

13. Jen, I love the sound of that runner, too! There’s a path that goes the length of the island (we shoot the videos from the island-end of the bridge to an island) and then continues across the bridge to the mainland. It is a beautiful place to walk and run.

14. I saw a great blue heron once outside our house – it was incredible! :)

15. Laura, Great blue herons are one of my favorites — so lucky to have one outside your house! They are incredible birds and it’s nice to live in an area where we see so many of them! Thanks for your comment and your visit to my blog!

16. I can’t wait until we move this week, and I can wake up and walk out on my front porch to watch the sun rise over the mountains. Ahhh! I’m so excited! Then, next summer, we’ll plant a garden, too! Thank you for sharing your beautiful videos and photos. They’re always such a visual feast!

17. Jolina, That’s so exciting that your big move is THIS WEEK!! I can’t wait to see photos of the sunrises over the mountains, wow! I will look forward to sharing garden stories next year; meanwhile, I’m glad I can provide you with a feast for the eyes this year!

18. Pet says:

You do write so beautifully that I’ve felt compelled to follow your blog from now one.
    And then, your Message in a Bottle story is so real. It has always been Police to me too, now it will be something else too.
    Sorry, I’m not usually this “poetic” but it has been the reading.
    My English is unpolished – and unschooled too – but you might still like, after a while, the raw English of my blog! All tastes are acquired, so they say :-)

19. Pet, Thanks for your comment & your visit to my blog! Glad you enjoyed the post and that you’ve started to follow my blog. The message in a bottle is a very poetic thought, I know what you mean. Thanks again for your comment; nice to meet you!