Lovely Summer Evening on the Coast of Maine

Saturday, July 16, 2011, 8:44 p.m. EST, 77 degrees F

The weather remains hot this week—so we decided to go to the beach overlook last night at dusk to try to catch a cool breeze. We were not disappointed: it was breezy and beautiful. The leaves rustled and the water moved in light ripples against the sand bar. Even though we only saw one lone personstanding on the point of the sand barthere were eight cars in the parking lot. We heard voices on the other side of the bridge. People were out walking to enjoy the lovely, cool evening.

Meanwhile in the garden….it’s all about the animals: wild and domestic.

This week we’ve harvested potatoes, spring onions, lettuce, fava beans, basil, peas, and snow peas. I always forget from year to year how much our black lab loves snow peas; she happily munches as many as we’ll let her have—and when we turn our back she chews them right off the plant!

And one morning this week we came out to find all the bean plants nibbled off at the top—and deer tracks in the mud!  Luckily the deer didn’t kill the plants, instead only nibbling some leaves off each plant! Since then new leaves have sprouted and the plants are flowering. Soon we’ll have beans from the garden.
It’s hard to see (unless you zoom in) but deer have nibbled off
the tops of these bean plants!

And here’s the evidence: deer tracks next to the basil and beans.

Cheers (and happy summer!),

Comments

1. Beautiful pictures! Sounds like a lovely weekend. Enjoy!

-Miss GOP

2. Very beautiful. I love your state.

3. Cynthia Robertson says:

Mmm, happy sigh.

What a lovely glimpse of your day…I’d LOVE to see a pic of your poochie!

5. thelmaz says:

Spectacular! If I could spend summers anywhere, I’d pick Maine. Lucky you. Am now following.

6. Leah says:

So beautiful! I love the video. It looks cool. Was it cool or just breezy?

7. We have moose rather than deer here in Alaska, and they prefer the crucifers to the legumes. But our beans look about the same stage of maturity (flowers starting to show.)

8. Hope Clark says:

Love the calming video. I’m ready for cool. Here in SC it’s 90-98 degrees daily. We are support to be up to only 86 today, and I’m trying to get into the yard and take advantage of the “cool.”

We had to build a five-foot fence around our garden to keep out the deer. Mine would take plants to the ground. Pretty soil and lovely beans!

Hope Clark
    FundsforWriters.com

9. Miss GOP, It is a lovely (albeit a tad hot for my taste) weekend! I hope you have had a lovely weekend as well! :)

Kelly, I’m glad to give you a little glimpse of a state you love! :)

Cynthia, Happy Sunday, friend, wish I could bottle it up for you to enjoy the cool breeze! :-)

Ann, Glad you enjoyed the glimpse; as for the pooch, I posted a blog about her on April 29, “One Bad Chipmunk”:
    Abby is the sweetest pup ever but boy does she love snow peas — eats them out of the bowl as I harvest them! :)

thelmaz, So glad to have you as a follower, thank you! Maine is a pretty amazing place in the summer — and I’m glad to share some of it in the blog! :)

Leah, Actually it was very warm last night — 77 degrees at almost 9 pm! But with the breeze it was very pleasant. I’m glad you enjoyed the video; the light was gorgeous!

Sue Ann, Moose in the garden!!! Crater prints! A neighbor told us that a moose walked down our driveway one day — we weren’t home and we were SO disappointed. I’d love to see more of the — once we saw one right where we make the videos, in the bay at low tide!

Hope, Glad you enjoyed the video; it was so calming, I agree! I hope you got the “cool” day you deserve, so you can get into the yard! (Here? Over 90!) Wow, a 5 foot fence, you must have a lot of deer; this is the first time we’ve ever had anything eaten since we live in town. (Do you ever post garden pics? I’d love to see a SC garden!)

10. Chris Fries says:

If your weather forecast is anything like here (SE edge of Lake Michigan, more or less), then this will be a week with LOTS of reasons to go cool off at the beach! It’s been over 90 for the last three days and we’re expecting over 90 every day this week. Hot fun in the summertime!

Congratulations also on the agricultural success!

11. Susan says:

This is such a lovely time of year in New England, everything growing so well, hot, lazy days, though as a former (and always!) New Englander, I know how miserable it can sometimes be because so much is not air conditioned. Love the video. I tried to infuse one of my posts from last week of video of the waves rolling in and discovered that you have to pay something like $59 per year for an upgrade in order to input your own video. Ouch! Not going to happen anytime soon! Very nice post, as usual.

12. Chris, I’m not a fan of the summer heat, and there’s only so much beach time I can tolerate–which is why (after reading your comment and consulting our weather report) we went and purchased the LAST air conditioning unit at Target this morning! :) p.s. just call me farmerxo :)

Susan, It really is a lovely time — except as you say for the miserable lack of air conditioning! Can you use youtube for your videos? That’s what I do and it is really easy once you set it up…. or is it different on wordpress — something I better check into since I’m thinking of switching! Glad you enjoyed the video!

13. Susan says:

I’ve never thought of using youtube. That should work because I’ve put video in my posts before when I found something already on youtube. I’ll have to figure out how to do that. Thanks for the suggestion, Julia.

14. Susan, If you have any questions about how to post your youtube videos, just let me know! And I can try to provide some help or at least suggestions!

15. Yay for fresh produce and friendly animals! 😀