Cooking Blog Wannabe

In my next blogging life I want to have a cooking blog. Or a gardening blog. Or maybe a little of both.

If you read my blog very often, you know that I am an avid gardener and cook. We have a modest vegetable garden that supplies a goodly amount of food—and that, combined with my love of cooking, produces some amazingly fresh and delicious meals.

This season has been a challenge because it’s been colder and rainier than normal—so until today we’ve only had a handful of veggies from the garden: some snowpeas (but only a few), some lettuce (but no arugula), and a few radishes (but most went to seed).

But today? We harvested a meal!

Today’s harvest: potatoes and spring onions.

And I cooked: a potato-onion scramble.

The key to this recipe is to have very fresh ingredients and to cook them quickly.

The ingredients: Nine freshly harvested new potatoes (the most exciting part, because it’s the first time we’ve grown potatoes!!), five spring onions, two cloves of garlic (smushed), 1/4 teaspoon rosemary (my rosemary died over the winter so I used dried), 4 eggs (MEH (My Engineer Husband) said next we’ll raise chickens. I think he was joking), 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese, 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil, 1 Tablespoon butter.

The method: Cut the potatoes into bite-sized pieces; boil in water until just-barely soft to the bite. Meanwhile, melt butter in a no-stick skillet; add olive oil. Drain potatoes and add to the skillet. When potatoes are done (taste to check) and slightly crisped on the outside, add the spring onions and garlic and rosemary to the skillet and cook briefly. Add egg and scramble until almost set then add the cheese to melt. Serve immediately!

Serves two generously and deliciously!

What are you cooking today? Is there another kind of blog you dream about writing?

Comments

Looks delicious! In my next life, I’d like to be a food blogger without having to worry about my weight! Make anything I want without the consequences!

2. jfb57 says:

That must have been such a wonderful experience – your own from garden to table! Brilliant!

It sounds delicious. Reminds me of something I used to make with ham as well.

I’m so glad you have a bountiful harvest and are able to enjoy it.

I prefer not to cook if at all possible, unless I’m trying a special new recipe like this one. :)

4. Hallie says:

Julia, if I had the time, I would do some sort of blog about parenting, motherhood, and/or the slow road to crazy. So much snark I could get off my chest with that. But there are enough “mommy blogs” out there that one more might send the earth spinning off its axis.

I think it is great that you are throwing a curve ball and posting about something else you love to do. It gives us a chance to get to know you better! XO

5. Leah says:

The scramble looks delicious! I’m envious you harvested your meal. That’s great. I for one, love your gardening and food posts. Keep them up!

6. Ann, It was delicious! I know what you mean about cooking anything without restrictions — but that’s one of the things I love most about your blog….that you cook and write about delicious food that’s also healthy. The way it should always be for me, so thank you!

jfb57, It really does make us giddy to grow then eat the food. Great fun and healthy too! Thanks for your comment!

Christine, We do sometimes make this scramble with ham, green peppers, and whatever else we have on hand. We’re enjoying our harvest and hope it will be bountiful! Let me know what you think if you make the scramble!

Hallie, Haha (about the number of mommy blogs, I know what you mean…. of course there are 140 million blogs period. YIKES)…. I love your blog because it’s such a great mix of different things, I never know what interesting thing will come next. So it’s a big compliment that it’s why you liked this post; I think you can count on more different things in the future too! xo :)

Leah, It was delicious! And fun to harvest, too! I don’t know why we’re always so surprised at eating out of the garden, but we are, it’s great! I’m glad you enjoy the posts about food and gardening, I will most likely be doing more. I hope I can do as well as you do in your blog; you’re a great role model!

7. Deborah says:

Love this kind of food – just the kind of invention we do all the time! Great post. Great photos. And thank you too for all the lovely supportive comments on my blog while I’ve been rather missing in action.

8. Deborah, Glad you enjoyed the post! (and don’t ever worry about being MIA, happens to all of us :)

9. #1. Yum.

#2. I SO worship cooking blogs. I know I’d NEVER be able to keep it up, but those blogs are always delicious looking and sounding.

10. Nina, It was delicious! I love the cooking blogs, too….aside from the recipes, I love the pictures they take for them, too! Still, when I think of coming up with a new, unique recipe for each blog–terrifying! I’ll stick with the occasional one for now.