Foggy Morning Video on the Coast of Maine

Sunday, June 26, 2011, 10:15 a.m. EST, 61 degrees F

Today is foggy and cool—in stark contrast to last week’s warm and sunny Father’s Day video.

One lone runner stands on the edge of the sandbar (we passed her, running by, on our way to the beach). But, it was frustrating because right off camera there were four kayakers on the beach, getting ready to go in the water. Additionally, car after car went by, creating a lot of annoying background noise.

I waited as long as possible, hoping to get a video of the kayakers in the water, but they ended up paddling the other direction! I did get a still shot of them as they paddled away.

If you listen closely to the video, you can hear one of the kayakers telling the story of his favorite character in Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. He explained that the character, Wonko the Sane, became convinced the world had gone crazy after he saw that a box of toothpicks had instructions for how to use a toothpick. (Unfortunately his retelling of the story is obscured by a car going by on the bridge!)

I found it amusing (and yet appropriate) that I happened to make the video just as someone on the beach was relaying a literary story!

Meanwhile in the garden:

Spring onions (foreground), basil seedlings (midground),
wax bush beans (background)

Comments

1. Cynthia Robertson says:

I miss planting food seeds in the ground and watching them grow! Thanks for sharing pics of your garden.
    Lovely, Julia =)

2. Leah says:

That is ironic that they’re discussing writing while you’re filming for your blog. The garden’s looking great too! Onions and basil – yum!

3. Cynthia, So glad I can give you a vicarious look at my veggie garden! (If only it were possible, I would gladly give you some veggies in exchange for virtual wedding assistance….I wonder if anyone would ever consider a virtual farm…. NAH! 🙂

Leah, I thought it was hilariously ironic that the people were discussing a book! I’ll let you know when I tweet the onions and basil so you can enjoy the harvest!

That’s funny about their discussion! I can’t tell you how many times I wait for people to get out of the way of my shot…for some reason, I don’t care to photograph people! Food? I LOVE taking pics of it…I also like buildings!

Very excited about your garden!

5. Okay, Julia, I’m heading to your neck of the woods on my next vacation! I’ve always wanted to go, but Massachusetts is as far north as I have been. Thanks for sharing your video and picture of your garden, and I love how the kayakers were discussing literature.

6. Susan says:

Love Maine. Wish I had time for a visit this year, but maybe next year I’ll bring my honey to Ogunquit because he’s never been there. Enjoyed the video, even if nothing was going on, because I’m sitting in my hot kitchen since the air conditioner is not working at the moment.

7. Liz says:

What are spring onions versus other onions? I’m so curious!

8. Brenda says:

I come to your site to stalk your photos,they take my away. I am not one to plant seeds in the ground, not something that brings me pleasure, but I did plant tomatoes this year (love them), and I am on tender hooks watching and waiting (not that that counts) but.. loved the fog rolling in or out in the photo.

9. Ado says:

Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, As Told from A Kayak. (-:
    Lovely.
    This video made me feel a little bit voyeuristic and a little bit more civilized for having watched it and heard a bit of the Guide to the Galaxy. (-:
    Beautiful coast of Maine, I hope to see it someday.

10. Ann, One of the things I love about doing these videos each week is that we never know who (or what) will wander through! I love hearing the snippets of conversations. I enjoy taking pics of buildings, too — another thing we have in common! I’ll keep the garden shots coming!

Jolina, Maine is a lovely place to visit, especially in the summer and fall! (I wouldn’t advise a winter vacation unless you love ice 🙂 Drop in any Sunday for a look at our lovely coast!

Susan, Ugh, sorry your air conditioner isn’t working! Today we had our 2nd day of this summer that made it over 80 degrees. It was lovely! Ogunquit is a lovely place to visit. It’s further down the coast from us — but we used to live near York and Kittery, and that area is BEAUTIFUL!!

Liz, Oh, haha, spring onions are another name for scallions or green onions! I used the name spring onions in this post because I thought it sounded better (than if I called them scallions or green onions) with basil seedlings and wax bush beans 🙂

Brenda, I’m so glad for your comment and the visit to my blog! Glad you enjoy the photos — good luck with your tomatoes; they are great fun to grow!

Ado, I thought the Hitchhiker’s Guide being told from a kayak was lovely as well!! It was such a wonderful little snippet to overhear! I completely and totally agree that I feel voyeuristic watching some of these videos — especially because they often look up and SEE ME shooting the video! Cripes, have I no couth? Maybe not, but I do get lots of great writing material 🙂

11. I remember the Hitchhiker’s Guide from way back when. Even watched it on PBS. Glad to know it’s still being retold and captured on film, to boot! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

12. Monica, Thanks for the comment & the visit to my blog! I watched the old Hitchhiker’s PBS series, too–so well done! I agree, it’s so nice to hear that it’s still being talked about–and in the most seemingly random places, like from a kayaker at the beach! I think the author would be pretty pleased to know that! (I would be!)